14 Jul 6 Crazy Facts About Engagement Rings
A lot has been said about where one should buy an engagement ring and what factors should be considered while buying one. And justifiably so, considering the importance of the occasion.
But the origins of this custom and quirky facts about the engagement ring are little-known. For instance, did you know that in countries such as Australia, France, USA and England the engagement ring is worn on the left hand, while in India, Germany and Russia, the ring is worn on the right hand?
We have compiled a list of crazy facts about engagement rings that we hope you find both amusing and interesting.
- The engagement ring was first introduced by Archduke Maximillian of Austria in 1477, who presented it to Mary of Burgundy as a token of his love. The ring was of gold with a diamond.
- In the past, it was believed that the ring should be worn on the third finger on the left hand that has a special vein that runs directly to the heart. It was also believed that an engagement ring was a sign of financial commitment towards a woman. It meant that the man could support the woman financially.
- Round brilliant cuts are the most popular diamond shape for an engagement ring. A Brilliant cut enhances the return of light from a diamond. Brilliant cut diamonds can come in many shapes from round, cushion, pear to Square and every shape in between. Have a look at our Guide to understanding diamond grades to lean more.
- White gold and platinum are the most popular metals for engagement rings. In previous years the price of platinum has been considerably higher than white gold but in recent years it has levelled off making it a more affordable option.
- The most popular season for getting engaged is around December, during Christmas. 15% of couples get engaged on this occasion. Other special holidays for getting engaged include Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day and New Year.
- Traditionally, men were supposed to spend anywhere between 1-3 months’ salary on the engagement ring. Today, there are abundant options to choose from.